Monday, April 12, 2010

Fernando Pessoa - Before I Had You

One of Fernando Pessoa's masterful love poems, written by his persona Alberto Caeiro, recommended by my dear friend Ivanna.


Before I Had You


Before I had you
I loved Nature as a calm monk loves Christ.
Now I love Nature
As a calm monk loves the Virgin Mary,
Religiously (in my manner), like before,
But in a more heartfelt and intimate way.
I see the rivers better when I walk with you
Through the fields to the rivers' banks.
When I sit next to you and watch the clouds
I see them much more clearly.
You haven't taken Nature from me,
You haven't changed Nature.
You've brought Nature closer.
Because you exist I see it better, though the same as before.
Because you love me I love it in the same way, but more.
Because you chose me to have you and love you
My eyes gaze at it
More than at anything.

I don't regret what I was before,
For I am still what I was.
I only regret not having loved you before.