Monday, October 22, 2007

Blake 250

This year celebrates the 250th year since William Blake was born.

What Wordsworth calls, in his Ode: Intimations of Immortality a “visionary gleam” was the state of Blake. The world-renowned English poet showed tremendous artistic talent long before the publication of his Poetical Sketches. As a child, Blake saw the world as a "tree full of angels", however, his paintings and engravings often show a sign of dark agony.

bla8
Whirlwind of Lovers (from Dante's Inferno)

The Sick Rose

O Rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm,
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy;
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.


abel
The Body of Abel Found by Adam and Eve


Love's Secret

Never seek to tell thy love,
Love that never told can be;
For the gentle wind doth move
Silently, invisibly.

I told my love, I told my love,
I told her all my heart,
Trembling, cold, in ghastly fears.
Ah! she did depart!

Soon after she was gone from me,
A traveller came by,
Silently, invisibly:
He took her with a sigh.