Thursday, October 4, 2007

FREE BURMA

Free Burma!

Get more information here.

As a Chinese, I feel even more weight on me so far as the Burma issue is concerned. When I signed the petition, joined the facebook group "Support the Monks' protest in Burma", they all sent me private emails because I'm Chinese. I know China is the best stake holder here, and I am anxious over what to do, but exactly because I'm here in China, I could do even less. I can't go on the street and protest, (all protest should be preapproved by the police), I've got no representative in the national people's congress to petition to. I did spread the word as much as I can, but my readers are also my fellow schoolmates who felt useless as I do. I'm making a T-shirt, trying to get more people's attention, but in the end, I don't know if I'll get into trouble for that.

Many protesters are using Olympics as a stake for China to take action, however, China Rejects Attempt to Link Developments in Burma to Beijing Olympics. Many Chinese who had experience the 1989 massacre has found Echoes of Tiananmen Square in Burma, it's again peaceful protest Vs. Oppression, again pro-democracy meets totalitarianism. Telegraph Beijing Correspondent Richard Spencer wrote about China and the Burmese regime, worth a read.

Right now the hostility in Burma is escalating. Burma's military junta switched to an intimidation campaign Wednesday, sending troops to drag people from their homes in the middle of the night and letting others know they were marked for arrest. In the early stages of the protest, most information is able to reach us through cell phone cameras and internet, but now most cell phone and Internet service in Burma has been disrupted, and the government is now going after bloggers.

So for what we can do, learn, and care. Because human fate are so strangely connected, but nothing is passed without leaving a ripple effect.

Some additional local reporting:
http://www.irrawaddy.org

http://www.mizzima.com



Libertà va cercando, ch'è sí cara,
come sa chi per lei vita rifiuta.


He seeketh Liberty, which is so dear,
As knoweth he who life for her refuses.


-- Dante Alighieri