Monday, December 31, 2007

I'm curious.

Do you use reusable shopping bags? If so, do you find it awkward?

Over the last month, I've done a lot of shopping for the holidays. I carry Envirosax with me and use those as often as I can. I love them. They're sturdier than plastic bags, and I don't accumulate tons of bags under my sink.

Unless I'm shopping somewhere like Whole Foods, though, cashiers always seem perplexed when I pull them out. And they never offer to help me pack up my purchases.

I've been thinking about this and realized this probably isn't a bad thing -- I suppose there's a risk for the cashiers of spreading cold germs and such. But cashiers often look at me as if I'm doing something peculiar or old-fashioned -- like paying for everything in pennies.

I'm curious. Do you live in a city with or without plastic bag regulations? What's your experience?