Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Laughs Last, Laughs Best - Movies and Their Endings

Winter break, what can I say, movies, movies, and more movies. As a matter of fact, I just went to a DVD store and got 7 more movies before I even finish the ones I have at hand.
Well, first let me briefly account the movies I watched in the past two days: The Illusion, The Lake House, Edward II, The Prestige, Children of Men, The Night Listener, Crank, Little Miss Sunshine, The Queen, Scoop, etc.
Let's just say a few words about each:

The Illusionist
One of Edward Norton's best performance, all is great until... you guessed it, the ending. It was so cliche that I want to puke. I mean, come on, reveal the secrets of his get-away, this is not so hideous, but to go back to some kind of farm where the lover is waiting and washing the horse? That's so 60s!

The Lake House
A matured performance you can only expect from the castings like Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. The story is simple enough, taken from a Korean movie, and there's no action, no special effects, no dazzling costumes or anything. But the so unlikely story was woven in this so natural manner that makes so real and being able to resonate with others. One of the best romance movies of this year.

Edward II; Sebastiane
I'm sure you've heard about Derek Jarman. To these two movies, I don't know what to say, but, they are like nothing I've ever seen before. (Apart from Wittgenstein of course, which was also directed by Jarman) Shocking, in a way.

The Prestige
Better than I expected. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman certainly put up a good fight. The ending was pretty astonishing (no... it might not be the word, maybe gross, when you see those giant glass tanks filled with water and has got a human body in each one, and the man has killed himself for the show... ahrrr...) So how much are you able to "sacrifice" for your dream? I guess that's what the movie has left us.

Children of Men
I should love this movie, I really should. I dig into this kind of future/disaster movies. But this one? Urrr, I don't think so. Of course, I couldn't help weeping when they hold the baby and walked downstairs out and everyone just stopped fighting and people extended their hands to bless them. It was really touching. But again, I hate the ending. I mean, why do they always have to make the "good guy" die in the end? And why they always always get the timing so RIGHT? Cliche... Movie cliches... I'm just so sick and tired of this. By the way, who the hell cares about whether or not they used two long shots in the movie.

The Night Listener
Banal.

Crank
The action, the temper, the background music, and the humor, this is one of the best movies of the year. You gotta see this, and trust me, you'll love it:) Oh, by the way, this is the movie that could make you laugh your head off and weep at the end. The ending is beautiful. That one last phone call. No hurrying. Nice tempo.

Little Miss Sunshine
I began playing this movie with all expectations high, you know, after all the great reviews you've read and the awards it has already gotten and the possible-Oscar winner, but it turns out to be a real disappointment. I mean, it might be the kind of movie our parents would love to see, at least the 30, or 40 something. But not me. I find it pretty boring. But there's one line I really like (and it seems to me that it's been quoted everywhere): "Do what you love, and fuck the rest."

The Queen
A possible-Oscar winner. Just another proof that my taste is obviously not on the same track with those bunch of people at the Academy's. I find this movie a little bit boring... Especially when you are looking at those people trying their best to imitate, but just couldn't get there, yet. It's just frustration.

Scoop
Clever. Funny. My third Hugh Jackman movie in a week, I believe. Oh man, he is hot. Scarlett Johnasson happens to be one of my favorite actresses of all. Maybe one of Woody Allen's too, seeing how she has stared in two of his latest major movies. The character Hugh Jackman is playing is kind of ideal man, that is, of course, before he was found out to be a murderer and cheater. But yes, I mean, handsome, wealthy, well-educated, have a good-taste in art and music, even lesbians would fall for him, believe me. And another thing worth mention is the ending. Oh God, Woody Allen is just so good, soooo good. I've never seen an ending as wicked and humorous as this one before. I could watch the movie a thousand times simply for this ending!