Thursday, April 26, 2007

One Year of Rembrandt van Rijn

400th anniversary year of Rembrandt van Rijn is coming to an end. I think I should blog about this artist whom I worship most.
Last March to June, when I was working as a volunteer-guide at the British Museum Exhibition, I saw an authentic Rembrandt print for the first time. (I've never seen an authentic Rembrandt before, for these kind of artworks were simply never on exhibit in China, no to say a city like Hangzhou) Anyway, it was exciting to see the work of my favorite painter, especially that I could be so close, I could gaze at it for as long as I want and I could share what admiration I have of the piece with the visitors. It was an enjoyment indeed.
Now to wind up this year, a number of museums are hosting a final round of Rembrandt display, so if you are like me, who have little chance to see this great master, grab the opportunity now.


National Gallery of Art, Washington: Rembrandt - Titus
- May 11 –September 4, 2007

Nassau Country Museum of Art, Roslyn Harbor, USA: Rembrandt to Rosenquist:
Masters of Printmaking

- End on May 13, 2007


Oglethorpe University Museum of Art, Atlanta, USA: Sordid and Sacred: The Beggars in Rembrandt's Etchings
- End on May 13, 2007

Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, USA: Rembrandt and the Golden Age: masterpieces from the Rijksmuseum
- End on May 6, 2007

Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam: Rembrandt - Portrait of Catrina Hooghsaet
- End on 29 April 2007

Noordbrabants Museum, Den Bosch: Meesters en molens: van Rembrandt tot Mondriaan (Artists and windmills: from Rembrandt to Mondriaan)
- End on May 28, 2007

Rembrandthuis (Rembrandt House), Amsterdam: Rembrandt in Berlijn: alle tekeningen uit het Kupferstichkabinett (Rembrandt in Berlin: drawings from the Kupferstichkabinett)
- End on May 28, 2007

Ferens Art Gallery, Hull, England: Rembrandt as printmaker
- End on June 18, 2007

Musée d'Art et d'Histoire du Judaïsme, Paris: Rembrandt et la Nouvelle Jérusalem: Juifs et chrétiens à Amsterdam au Siècle d'Or (Rembrandt and the New Jerusalem: Jews and Christians in Amsterdam in the Golden Age)
- End on July 1,2007

Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum, Aachen, Germany:Berliner Bilder zu Gast & Ein Rembrandt für Aachen (Visiting paintings from Berlin & A Rembrandt for Aachen)
- End on Dec.31, 2007


Online Exhibitions

Rembrandt's Late Religious Portraits


Strokes of Genius: Rembrandt's Prints and Drawings