Tuesday, September 8, 2009

New York Times Pulse: Jamie Bochert

From The New York Times Pulse by Karin Nelson :


Photo:Samantha Rapp

JAMIE BOCHERT, model and musician.

WHAT I’M WEARING NOW The dress is Camilla Staerk. The belt came off a kimono-style robe from the Park Hyatt hotel in Tokyo, and the jacket and shoes are Ann Demeulemeester. I don’t wear a lot of designer clothes, but when I do, it’s mostly Ann’s stuff.

STYLE CREDO I like to be comfortable. But if I’m not feeling well, I’ll dress up. I remember one time I wore this dress to Home Depot, and my heels were clicking down the aisle. My boyfriend said I was like Marisa Tomei in “My Cousin Vinny,” but you know, if you’re not feeling good, at least you can look good.

MOST RECENT PURCHASES It’s a rare occasion that I go shopping. I have to be in a really bad mood and need instant gratification. Designers give me things, or I take stuff from my mom, who’s a little Italian woman from New Jersey. The last thing I bought was a tie-dyed jumpsuit from the designer Leana Zuniga. That was good. And a hat from Marc Jacobs’s spring collection — one of the boaters, but I haven’t worn it yet.

THE ONE THING I WANT These Rick Owens boots that are no longer available. But it’s O.K. I’ll live.

CURRENT INSPIRATIONS Gypsies, Morocco, ballet. I’m having a big Ballets Russes phase. I’ve been wearing a lot of dance cover-ups, and I want to find a feather hat and wear eye makeup like they did. I’m also really into the 1920s and ’30s. I’ve been wearing old nightgowns from that time.

CURRENT PROJECTS I’m writing an album that I plan to record in January. I play piano, guitar and sing under the name Frances Wolf. The same things that inspire my style, inspire my music.